Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Gig Economy Worker

After nearly three and a half years I've left the world of wage slavery and have embarked on an adventure in the new gig economy.

I haven't had much luck with employment, ultimately flaking out on jobs because I've become something of a social problem in any group setting -- I just don't feel like putting up with any bullshit, and bullshit is one of the four pillars of the working world, or so it's always seemed. I mean, I'd probably do pretty well pushing a mop in that lonely schoolhouse in Little House on the Prairie ... but in the meantime I need to earn money somehow. And canning isn't much of an option anymore, considering how many people are at it and how many sources get locked away. So, I'm now a Postmates courier, and I may also become a Doordash "dasher". I even bought a bike for the purpose! A bike which may change my life more than just about anything has in decades.

I love the bike, but it's going to suck some considerable money out of me. I've already replaced a rear spoke and bought a rear rack and a couple locks, and at some point soon-ish I'll need to upgrade the seat post and saddle, replace the pedals, and figure out a new handlebar configuration that won't strain my broken wrist so much. And then there's the safety gear, like a visored helmet, some kind of mirror, and the lights and reflectors. lol Shit, I should probably insure the damn thing, too. And, I'm making less money. I'm technically a private contractor, so I'm going to pay out between 25% - 30% of my gross in taxes every year. The demand is somewhat whimsical-seeming, too; some days I'll be sitting around somewhere for a couple hours before a delivery request arises, other days I'll have back-to-back deliveries and even a few doubled up.

Getting into the money aspect of working for Postmates isn't what I want to do today. My brain is too tired to navigate that minotaur's lair.

But, yeah, fuck regular jobs, and the bike is FUN FUN FUN! I don't make much money delivering food, but I'm getting more exercise than I have in years and I'm not getting moody or weird on people at a job in some kitchen or behind a cash register somewhere. I do need to mellow out with the Road Warrior posturing, and I certainly can learn to better navigate urban street traffic and efficient locomotion, but for the time being at least I'm actually enjoying physical exertion and being outside my apartment. I'll make this gig delivery thing work somehow, and if I'm lucky I'll not get into any serious accidents and will end up looking good and getting healthy.