Monday, May 15, 2023

So Much for Working Part-Time

Well, hell, it looks like the Social Security administration was correct in its assesment of me being unemployable...or at least I think that's why they granted me my disability status.

I've tried and failed repeatedly to get a part-time food service job, mostly just to give me something more constructive and engaging to do with my time than drinking beer; for some reason I just either can't get a job or keep it when I get one. I've alienated employers by being snarky about their hiring processes and requiremnets, I've outright called out a business for wasting my time because it didn't have its shit together, and I've blown off interviews and flaked out on first shifts at least a dozen times. I guess I really am just too mental to put up with that obnoxious corporate Dilbert "culture" that's crept into every corner of society (when was the last time you said "moving forward" in a casiual conversation?), or to even work with anyone else. Don't get me wrong: I like work, but jobs and other people just plain suck — and even when you find something that doesn't dehumanize you or suck your soul or destroy your body in other ways it still won't pay enough to provide you with a modestly comfortable and secure life (you have to work about seventy-five hours a week at minimum wage here in Portland to afford to live properly, which includes saving for retirement). And this isn't just a problem for service and blue collar workers: even well-paid professionals end up giving up too much of their time to The Man and can't enjoy their pseudo-posh lives without constantly juggling debts.

So, I'm no longer lookling for work. I'll just resume canning starting Saturday, May 20, though non-competitively because I collect disability benefits and don't feel right depriving my less-fortunate peers their means of income. I'm also going to start looking for places to volunteer at, probably at the Friendly House and LiftUp PDX, maybe also join some Solve litter pick-up crews. Gotta do something, right? lol Especially when the beer no longer appeals.