Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Failed Camping Experiment

Homeless camp alongside the freewaySo, I've been out here for two weeks, and I'm starting to acclimate to my situation just as the weather is finally warming up and drying out. Not only that, but I'll have my disability the morning after tomorow. A lot has happened since I last posted:

I moved from my spot near the old Esco to spend a couple nights on a loading dock closer to my storage unit, after which I let myself get convinced to borrow an acquaintance's moldy four-man tent and move next to the freeway in the Pearl District. I've never done the permanent-tent thing and after three nights of it I've already decided to move to a loading dock as soon as I receive homless camping supplies from Amazon. As nice as it is to be around trustworthy acquaintances and to be able to sleep in, the cons BY FAR outweigh the pros: I'm right next to a freeway with its noise and pollution, the ground we're camping on is gross from the previous occupants who sullied the site with fires and trash, it's in the Pearl District and closer to downtown so there's less privacy and more sketchy passers-by, I'm regularly getting sidelong glances and outright hostile and disgusted stares because of the stigma against homeless camps, I'm closer to downtown, I'm farther from both the Friendly House and the storage unit I use daily, and because I'm on public property I anticipate we'll get evicted regardless how clean we keep the camp and how positive our relationship is with our housed neighbors. Besides, the "leader" of the camp gets a bit pushy and bossy, so it will probably be better for our acquaintanceship that I leave before I get angry about it.

Okay, I'm DEFINITELY moving back to the loading dock tonight. The "leader" of our camp just decided I need to move my tent to make room for another member of the camp...but on both sides of my tent the ground is too lumpy for me to slep comfortably on without an air mattress I don't have. I like the guy, don't get me wrong; I like not being pushed around a lot more — if I wanted people bossing me around I'd sleep at a fucking shelter. Besides, I'm looking for work, so eventually I'll be dealing with that for a good reason (for money)...well, at least I hope I will.